Friday 4 July 2014

Songbead in Print

Some of you will know that, until moving over to Northern Ireland ten months ago, I had taught beading in Manchester at The Bead Shop for the previous six years. It's something that grew and developed and changed over time, and I enjoyed it all. It was only after a year or so of teaching for The Bead Shop that my partner persuaded me to submit some of the many designs I was creating for the classes to craft publications - and the rest, as they say, is history. 

I've been lucky enough to have been published in Bead, The Beadworkers' Guild Journal, Make Jewellery, Jewelry Affaire and of course, Beads and Beyond over the past five years - during which time, I've been a cover girl of BaB twice! 

March 2013

 {{{~~~~~ I can only find a really weeny picture of this cover from October 2008! 


After seven years of jewellery-making teaching, and eight years in music education, it has been refreshing to have a break from direct contact teaching, much as I didn't/don't plan to leave it behind altogether. But I am so glad that I haven't had to leave the education side of my work behind entirely, through continuing to write tutorials and projects for magazines. I have been published in the past four issues of Jewelry Affaire (which is a truly stunning American publication for those of you outwith America who are unfamiliar with it) , in every issue of Beads and Beyond for the past couple of years at least, and have recently submitted to a new (for me) publication, which I am eagerly awaiting to hear back from! I feel very privileged and honoured to be included so frequently amongst so many beautiful pages, and in such good and talented company too. 
My first design to be published in Jewelry Affaire, last year.

One of my earliest designs for Beads and Beyond - one that I'm still pretty proud of! This one was published way back in 2009.
My 'Forever Flowers' project from earlier this year in Beads and Beyond.

Eastern Landscape from the latest issue of Jewelry Affaire

Designs from the most recent issue of Beads and Beyond - from (L to R) me, Claire Lockwood, Rachel Norris and Trish Latimer.


A montage of designs coming up in the newest issue of Beads and Beyond, out next week - one of my designs is top left!
Where next? As well as continuing (I hope!) to work for these beautiful magazines, I hope to continue to spread my wings. Just a few days ago, I had a very exciting email from the publishers of a rather gorgeous magazine which I am yet to be published in, saying that they believe my designs would be a good fit with them. There really is nothing more flattering and humbling than a publication that you have long-respected asking you to submit your designs to them. I will keep wraps on the details just now - but needless to say, I am very excited to see where my designs will find themselves next, and I'll be keeping you posted here!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails