Saturday 2 February 2013

Reader Appreciation Offer - Art Bead Scene January Challenge....better 4 days too late than never!

As one of Art Bead Scene's contributors (I've been part of this fab team for over a year now, can you believe?), I wanted to try to create a piece for each one of the monthly challenges this year. I don't think I managed any of them officially last year - very poor show! The art work selected is always so inspiring, it's not that I don't have the inspiration or even that I don't have the inclination, it just seemed that last year, every month ran away with me and before I knew it, the deadline had passed and I had nothing to show for it. Not so this year, I told myself when January 2013 dawned. So when Heather Humblebead's gorgeous peacock pendant popped through my letterbox a little over a week ago, I got to straight away and made this necklace quite quickly! 
I recently bought a few of Amanda Davie's gorgeous glass and copper clasps, and this one seemed to tone perfectly, along with some vivid yet rustic ceramic beads from SlateStudiosSupply. I even customised the clasp, wrapping tiny seed beads onto the hook; a very pretty effect and one of my favourites. 'Well done Rebecca' I thought (foolishly) to myself, 'quite a few days in advance too. You're well on your well to starting off the year on a good foot!'. Ahem. Famous last words (thoughts!). Of course, I wanted to get some really good pictures. So I kept putting off photographing as I was never free to go outside on a morning when it wasn't raining, and then of course, the deadline came and went....with no Songbead entry to the competition. Epic fail on my part....

However, tonight I absolutely had to take some shots of another piece that had a strict deadline. My only choice was to get out my lightbox and photography lights and snap away. So I pulled out the peacock necklace and decided to snap away.

Now, I can get some fairly decent results in this way. I have a nice old chipped door that I shove in there, with the end sticking out and balancing on my knee. I can also get some really duff results, and I cannot figure out why. Now, I know that not every photo is going to be great, and there will be some variation. But I cannot figure out why sometimes the backdrop looks positively yellow (it's not) and sometimes very close to white. It's definitely a slightly creamy white in reality, but still - I'd describe it as off-white rather than cream. Sometimes I'll take a few pics, load them onto the computer, and then when I come back to the set up minutes later, the next batch will be yellow, and sometimes even a little fuzzy! Despite everything seemingly being in exactly the same place, lighting conditions being the same etc....I must be doing something different - I realise that - but what; I'm not sure.

Anyway, I won't bore you too much with my photography woes! I seem to be doing that rather a lot lately. I am glad to share this piece with you, despite it's lateness. The photos for this particular necklace turned out nicely I think.

 It will be available in my Etsy shop on Monday, but I am offering it at a discounted price for you my blog readers, if you snaffle it up before it hits the virtual shelves of Etsy. It should be £60, but I have knocked 20% off until Monday, so grab it for £48 with flat-rate shipping of £3.50 through the weekend. My reader appreciation offer to you!

Sold, with thanks.

Have a lovely weekend, wherever you might be spending it :-)


8 comments:

Honey from the Bee said...

LOL! Sorry... not at you, with you. Love your entry - gorgeous colors. Good luck on future months. : )

A Polymer Penchant said...

Its very pretty! I can see how it would have come together quickly. I had great plans to participate this month but only got half way there, someday I'll finish. I'm just learning really so take this with a grain of salt but I think the difference between the two shots is where the light metering is a wee bit different so the white balance ends up off. Do you have the white balance set to "daylight" for you lights? That may help

KayzKreationz said...

I love that pendant/focal and the clasp. You did a great job with the challenge even if you didn't make the deadline. I haven't made a deadline yet, either. I tell myself every month I want to try it, but it never seems to happen. Love your piece.

Prządka said...

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful:)
So hard to take my eyes from this necklace!
Regards!

Unknown said...

Absolutely stunning and the colours are gorgeous

http://sandracreaties.blogspot.com said...

Je ketting is prachtig.
Mooie kleuren.
Groetjes Sandracreaties.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

Stunning color and texture. Feeling like African people dress and their stuff.

pilgrim jewellery

Unknown said...

Very beautiful and amazing colors. Perfect for gifting some special.

pilgrim jewellery

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails